Dr. Adrian Morphett
B.Eng. (Mech), PhD
Adrian Morphett is an environmental engineer with over 17 years experience in energy and carbon sector. He is specialised in conducting greenhouse gas and energy audits to comply with the relevant regulations and standards; and providing specialist technical, engineering and commercialisation consulting on biomass and bioenergy technologies, and industrial and commercial building energy efficiency projects. Adrian has had a varied career spanning several industries including petrochemical, government, academia, energy design and mechanical drafting.
Education and Affiliations
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours), Swinburne University of Technology, 1996.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Mechanical Engineering), Swinburne University of Technology, 2009.
- Lead Auditor in OHS Management Systems, SAI Global, 2006
- 2010:Present: Principal Environmental Engineer, Earth Systems.
- 2009: Manager Audit and Advisory Services, Carbon Planet.
- 2008: Senior Emissions Auditor, Carbon Planet.
- 2006: Business and IT analyst, Department of Human Services, Victoria Government.
- 2005: OHS Officer, Department of Human Services, Victoria Government.
- 2003: Assistant Project Manager, United KG, Orica Refinery Sydney
- 2001: Assistant Project Planner, Transfield, Caltex Refinery Brisbane
- 2000: Assistant Project Planner, Stork ICM, Shell Refinery, Victoria
- 1999: Mechanical Engineer, Gas Turbine Design, Whalco Engineering, Victoria
- 1998: Precommissioning Engineer, Stork ICM, Ballera Gas Station, Queensland
- 1997: Mechanical Engineering Lecturer, Swinburne University, Victoria
Fields of Special Competence
Greenhouse gas emissions auditing and calculation methodologies; NGER and EITE auditing experience, industrial energy efficiency; commercial building energy efficiency – qualified NABERS auditor; waste heat recovery and biomass gasification.
Some examples of Adrian’s recent roles and projects include:
- Project Manager for research, design and implementation of a commercial scale mobile batch pyrolysis furnace technology for the production of biochar from waste wood sources.
- Project Manager for research, design and development of a continuous process pyrolysis technology for chipped wood and greenwaste biomass feedstocks for energy and biochar production.
- Assisted several Australian companies to identify and compile energy and emissions data from facilities under their operational control for reporting under the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting (NGER) Act. Companies included gold mining and processing, transportation, power generation, lime, bulk plastic container, food retail, beverage retail, brewery beer, and tertiary sector (universities).
- Conducted Emissions Intensive and Trade Exposed (EITE) assessments under the Carbon Pricing Mechanism for several industries.
- Conducted or assisted in full-scope GHG audits in accordance with WBCSD GHG protocol for over 50 Australian national business operations.
- Conducted many site energy audits and prepared energy audit reports (to AS/NZS 3598).
- Compiled and delivered custom transport and climate change knowledge, attitude and beliefs surveys of all employees in one of Australia’s largest national law firms, and a large NSW City Council.
- Environmental policy reviews in accordance with ISO 14001 Environmental Management.
- Conducted life cycle emissions analysis on paper emissions for green magazines.