Ms. Sophie Pape
BSc, BEnvEng (Hons), MEIANZ
Sophie is an environmental engineer with over 10 years’ experience and expertise in closure and rehabilitation planning, environmental management and monitoring, impact assessment and water and waste management. She has specific experience in the assessment and management and acid and metalliferous drainage (AMD) and related issues for mine sites throughout Australia and internationally.
Education and Affiliations
- Bachelor of Engineering, Honours (1st Class), Melbourne University, Australia
- Bachelor of Science, Melbourne University, Australia
- Member of the Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ)
- A. J. Francis Prize in 421-103 Engineering Statics.
- Dean’s Honours List in Bachelor of Engineering (1997, 1999) and Bachelor of Science (1997).
- W. M. McPherson Exhibition in 421-320 Fluid Mechanics & Applied Hydraulics (Fluid Mechanics).
- Dixson Scholarship in 421-303 Mathematics for Engineers 3.
- Halliburton KBR Prize in Environmental Management, 2001.
Countries of Work Experience
Australia, China, Lao PDR, Papua New Guinea, Senegal and Tanzania
- 2010–Present: Principal Environmental Engineer, Earth Systems.
- 2002–2009: Senior Environmental Engineer, Earth Systems.
- 2000–2001: Environmental Assistant, Earth Systems.
- 2001: Engineering Assistant, Civil & Infrastructure and Civil & Traffic Divisions, Connell Wagner.
- 2000: Research Assistant, University of Melbourne.
Fields of Special Competence
AMD management; rehabilitation and closure; water management; environmental monitoring; site assessment and AMD Audit; static and kinetic characterisation.
Sophie’s recent roles and projects include:
- Key contributor to Australian federal government leading practice handbooks on “Managing Acid and Metalliferous Drainage”, “Evaluating Performance: Monitoring and Auditing” , and “Water Management” for the mining industry.
- Preparation of a Waste Rock Dump Construction Management Plan and a site-wide WRD rehabilitation strategy for the Great Australia Mine, Queensland, Australia.
- Development and implementation of environmental management systems, including environmental management plans, monitoring plans and standard operating procedures, for mine sites in Australia, Southeast Asia and Africa.
- Development of software tools for water quality audits applicable to exploration, prefeasibility, bankable feasibility, environmental impact assessment, and closure phases of mining projects.
- Audit of environmental monitoring program and training of environmental staff at the Golden Pride mine in Tanzania.
- Preparation and review of site-specific environmental management plans, and design and management of water quality and environmental monitoring program (including site audits) for the Nam Theun 2 hydropower project, Lao PDR.
- Project manager for hydrology, sediment transport and water quality baseline studies and impact assessments for several mining developments.
- Development of rehabilitation and mine closure plans for sites in Australia, Southeast Asia and Africa.
- Technical assistance, staff training, and on site management of environmental activities at the Phu Bia Gold Project, Lao PDR.
- Field-based coordination of specialist environmental and social studies and assistance in preparation of environmental and social impact assessment for the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Project, Lao PDR.
- Presentation of water management and monitoring training short courses run by SMI Knowledge Transfer and The Centre for Water in the Minerals Industry in Brisbane, Australia.
- Technical inputs to water treatment projects including design of fixed plants and passive systems for mine water, stormwater and
- Coordination and delivery of water quality training as part of a 5-week Integrated Water Resource Management shortcourse delivered in Cambodia.
- Development of water management and monitoring plans for acid sulfate soils in the Lower Murray Lakes, South Australia.
- Geophysical surveys to identify groundwater flow pathways for clients in Victoria, South Australia, Queensland and Northern Terrority, Australia.