Carbon Farming Initiative
Earth Systems has the capacity to assist in the assessment of Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) opportunities, and provide support to projects throughout the CFI approval cycle. We have strong understanding of the Australian policy framework for carbon initiatives and experience in assisting developers through the project cycle for international carbon schemes, such as the Kyoto Protocols Clean Development Mechanism.
The CFI is a carbon offsets scheme that has been established by the Australian Government to provide new economic opportunities for farmers, forest growers and landholders, while at the same time reducing carbon emissions. Through the CFI, farmers, forest growers and landholders can earn carbon credits by storing carbon or reducing greenhouse gas emission on the land. The CFI commenced on the 1st of January 2012, and is now operational.
Activities eligible under the CFI
- Agricultural emissions avoidance. Projects that avoid or reduce emissions of methane or nitrous oxide from livestock, manure management, rice fields / plants, biomass burning and soil and landfill waste.
- Landfill legacy emissions avoidance. Projects that avoid emission of greenhouse gases from landfill waste accepted before July 1, 2012.
- Introduced animal emissions avoidance projects. Projects that avoid emissions of methane or nitrous oxide from introduced animals (digestive tract and dung).
- Sequestration offset projects. Increased carbon sequestration through reforestation, revegetation and improved soil management.
Earth Systems is able to assist with the development of projects in areas such as: afforestation / reforestation; avoided deforestation; land management; reducing emissions from improved livestock management; manure management; production of biochar and soil carbon sequestration.
We provide the following CFI services:
- Advice and assistance for all stages of the CFI project cycle (planning, application, offset and audit reports, application for credits, project closure).
- Data analysis and calculation of greenhouse gas emissions according to CFI approved methodologies.
- GIS and spatial analysis and high resolution mapping of land-use and forest types.
- Development of land-use and forestry carbon modelling frameworks to assess project carbon stocks.
- Facilitation and sale of carbon credits.
- Technical advice to project developers on value and risk management of carbon credits.
For more information or to discuss our range of Energy and Carbon services please contact Earth Systems at firstname.lastname@example.org