Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA)
Earth Systems provides high quality, multi-disciplinary environmental and social impact assessment services to a range of sectors including mining, oil and gas and energy industries. We ensure that our impact assessments are prepared to meet all project permitting and financing requirements.
The approach of Earth Systems is to work closely with clients and project engineers during the prefeasibility and feasibility stages of project development to ensure that environmental considerations are fully integrated into project design. Our aim is to develop management and mitigation measures that are technically and economically feasible, and that minimise environmental impacts to a degree acceptable to regulators, financiers, the community and other stakeholders.
- Environmental information procurement through research data collation, manipulation and interpretation.
- Identifying and scoping project permitting requirements and necessary environmental/social studies.
- Managing an impact assessment programme including:
- Costing and planning the impact assessment programme;
- Building teams of in-house and external consultants with expertise specific to the nature of the project and its environmental setting;
- Ongoing baseline monitoring; and
- Preparing detailed briefs for baseline studies.
- Undertaking comprehensive risk assessments to identify potential environmental liabilities/risks.
- Liaising closely with the client, project engineers and, where required, regulators and financiers.
- Facilitating government, community and other stakeholder liaison at key decision points during the impact assessment process to ensure stakeholder concerns are engaged in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Preparing environmental impact assessment reports that confirm to the requirements of the regulators and integrate the project design, environmental study findings and proposed management and mitigation measures.
- Providing independent review of environmental impact assessment reports and technical studies.
- Developing international standard EIAs and supporting plans (EMPs, RAPs and LRPs) that meet IFC / World Bank / Equator Principal standards.
Earth Systems personnel have experience in conducting environmental impact assessments for mining, petroleum and waste management projects in arid, semi-arid and tropical environments, including Australia, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Senegal, Uganda, Tanzania and Cambodia:
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment Update and Livelihood Restoration Plan for a hydropower project in Uganda.
- Environmental and Social Assessment and Resettlement Action Plan for a minerals sands project in Senegal.
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for a copper-gold Project in Lao PDR.
- Due Diligence Review for a hydropower project using IFC standards, in Lao PDR.
- UNDP funded Socio-Economic Impact Assessment for 35,000 hectare eucalypt plantation in Lao PDR.
- ADB funded Cumulative Impact Assessment for a hydropower Project in Lao PDR.
- Initial Environmental Evaluation for an iron Project in Australia.