Environmental Planning and Management
The input of environmental expertise during the planning stage for major projects can often prevent costly and difficult problems in later phases of development. Earth Systems has been providing specialist environmental management and planning expertise for major mining, infrastructure and utility projects for over 20 years, with a focus on leading practice and the management of both short- and long-term environmental and socio-economic risks.
The management of project risk is a multi-faceted and complex task that requires specialist expertise in each of its component areas. Most projects focus on rigorous assessment of economic, geotechnical and engineering risks in the planning process. However, environmental risk and the potential for long-term impacts, with associated rehabilitation costs and economic liabilities, can be equally, if not more important to project feasibility. Earth Systems recognises that without the introduction of appropriate environmental policies, management systems, and training and awareness programs at the planning stage, the short- and long-term viability of a project can be profoundly impaired. Earth Systems’ team of experts specialise in not only identifying potential environmental and socio-economic risks based on all aspects of project development, but also developing cost-effective and practical risk management strategies in close coordination with project planners and site personnel.
- Environmental risk assessment and management
- Development of corporate and site environmental management systems (EMSs)
- Design, documentation and implementation of environmental and socio-economic management plans (EMPs) and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Auditing and due diligence assessment
- Development of leading practice environmental management guidelines, programs and procedures
- Design, documentation and implementation of environmental and socio-economic monitoring programs and protocols
- Environmental GIS development
- Rehabilitation and closure planning
- Environmental and socio-economic training workshops for managers, supervisors, operators and regulators
- Capacity building and institutional strengthening.
Related services also offered by Earth Systems include: Rehabilitation and Closure Planning, Due Diligence Review, Environmental Monitoring and Information Management and GIS and Remote Sensing
Recent relevant project experience includes:
- Preparation of EMPs, ESMPs, and environmental and social monitoring programs for major mining projects, hydroelectric projects and landfill sites in all states of Australia and numerous countries throughout the Asia-Pacific and Africa.
- Development of governance mechanisms for environmental restoration of Lake Tai in China, with the specific aim to reduce the intensity and frequency of algae blooms.
- Provision of all aspects of environmental planning and management for the Nam Theun 2 hydroelectric project in Lao PDR.
- Development and presentation of training courses for the management of hazardous waste landfills (for AusAID in India) and for environmental and community management of a mining project (for the World Bank in Lao PDR).
- Feasibility-stage integrated environmental engineering for a major prospective iron project in a sensitive environment of southeastern Australia, including geochemical engineering and regulator engagement.
- Development and implementation of water management and monitoring programs for the Lower Murray Lakes in South Australia.
For more information or to discuss our range of environmental Management and Assessment services please contact Earth Systems at email@example.com